3.20.2009

3 * 2 * 1

For the first day of spring I put on my new (to me) red shoes, which have a little strap across the top of my foot, and which have no heel. I did not put on tights or even knee socks, because it is spring. And although the weather is basically the same as it was yesterday, this morning I left my down vest and my knit scarf and my fuzzy hat in the front hall and I walked down my front stairs in a denim skirt and red shoes because today, unlike yesterday, it is spring.

Then I rode my bicycle to work. I used to ride my bicycle all the time but around November I started finding reasons not to. First it was dark early and the drivers weren’t used to it. Then it was snowy and icy, which was the only legitimate excuse of the lot. When it warmed up I had grown used to my new rhythm, a bus ride in the morning that let me read before work, and an hour-long walk home to unwind. Plus I had a flat tire. Insurmountable!

But you can’t coast through spring on lame excuses. My crocuses are popping all purple and white, and my daffodils, and yesterday I pulled the ivy that creeps over from my neighbors’, and new this week I can walk home from work and still have a beer on the porch before dark. So it’s bicycle time. I got a pump last weekend, my very first bicycle pump ever, and this morning I inflated my tire and then clicked on my helmet, and straightened my antennae, and strapped on my bag, and biked west.

Mist condensed around my eyes and I remembered certain muscles in my legs, and half way to downtown I unbuttoned my cardigan to cool my shoulders. I’ll do it all again in a few hours, after I’ve watched Portland State crush Xavier, or maybe not. It will be dark by then and I’ll put on my lights, the white one in front and the blinking red one in back, and I’ll pedal my way home in the rain.

4 Comments:

At 8:02 AM, Blogger humble bee said...

okay, so there was burning log for burning man, no jetpack for marathon madness and strike that for boy-badness ranging from quebec to portland, eclaires to law and med school applications.

Time for a new slate! :) and more grand stories of your adventures.

 
At 8:03 AM, Blogger humble bee said...

and wonderful boys. and springtime. and the unknown.

love,

m

 
At 4:37 PM, Blogger tortaluga said...

pede, you are so right.

 
At 2:08 PM, Blogger Mademoiselle Caroline said...

happy spring, jenn!
nice to see you again too, and thanks for sticking around :o)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home