2.23.2009

blogging master cleanse

The problem with not blogging for such a very long time is that then there is a blog backlog in my brain, and I have trouble choosing just one thing to write about. So many things to write about that I don’t write about anything at all.

So I need to do a little purge. Purging posts are never the best but it seems to me to be the only way to move on.

It’s been a busy three weeks.

I could write about how Iowa came west again for the weekend, how we went dancing and drank cocktails and talked the way we used to talk when we both lived in Eugene, and how much I miss that. I could write about the game of Celebrities we put together – the lamest game of Celebrities I’ve ever played because the names people put in were all actual celebrities. No Sylvia Plath or C S Lewis. All Jay Z and Branjolina.

I could write about the weekend when my Cousin D came up from California, how we ate still-warm appam at the palatial Lake Oswego house of his college buddy, a house that took me twenty minutes to locate because I’ve lost my suburban sensibility. How we played pool downtown at a newly nonsmoky bar and took so long to clear the table that they asked us to quit. How my cousin, a cute and wickedly funny straight guy a few years older than me, recently bought a book called How to Meet Your Husband When You’re Over 35.

I could write about how the City of Portland is switching to a new online accounting system, how it’s driving everyone crazy, how it has made work into one long tragicomic folly with equal parts Dilbert and Office Space. How I’ve had to attend weekly training sessions, some of them two and a half hours long, in which sentences like the following are delivered in earnest: Just remember that what we used to call a Center Code in IBIS is now a Cost Center, or a Functional Area, in SAP, and you can easily recognize this number because it will be something like ESBS0000006, if it’s a Cost Center, but a Functional Area will instead look something like PUASBSRS0000BE- and isn’t that funny, that it starts PU, since it’s the sewer bureau! – but also don’t forget that sometimes a Cost Center is the same thing as a Cost Fund.

I could write a lot about how I went to Austin to meet the one-year-old daughter of my highschool friend, how this daughter makes the cutest frog sound I’ve ever heard, DIP-uhd-DIP-uhd-DIP-uhd, how we made fondue and lay in the sun, how in two days we ate a year’s worth of cheese and chocolate and marshmallows, and how I was introduced to Wii, in which my bowling skills far surpassed my drumming.

Or I could write about how I am falling in love, which would probably be the most fun thing to write about, because I’m at that part where I want to tell total strangers – that part where when someone in line with me at the grocery store says Man this line is slow I want to say Yes, but I’m falling in love. So maybe next time.

8 Comments:

At 5:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

She appreciates your overlooking the fact that frog, turkey and turtle sounds are remarkably similar :)

HURRAY on love!!

 
At 2:06 AM, Blogger Grindlebone said...

Yeah! Relish the love!

 
At 10:09 AM, Blogger erinp said...

We need to talk, like now. Yes, my baby has a cute belly, but you are FALLING IN LOVE. much more interesting. This weekend?

 
At 12:23 PM, Blogger humble bee said...

um, I'm learning how to make cheese?

we should compare stories. call me?

 
At 3:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been wanting to learn how to make cheese. If anyone has a blog to post on it, let's have it.

 
At 3:46 PM, Blogger humble bee said...

http://www.cheesemaking.com/

great cheese making and supply website with free recipes!

 
At 3:55 PM, Blogger tortaluga said...

it didn't ever occur to me that people made their own cheese, until yesterday, when a facebook friend put up a message about how much he loves THAT cheese making website.

apparently home cheesemaking has reached a tipping point. i find that both fabulous and freakish.

 
At 10:38 AM, Blogger Jaime said...

I am sooo calling you this weekend, how late are you up? 10:00?

And I am of course falling in love with your blog. Can't wait to read more.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home